Spectra Diversity White Papers
If you feel as though you’re buried under Internet Information Overload, we’re here to help. We keep an eye on the research and current events and will work to keep our Partners and D&I colleagues up-to-date by distilling the research into documents that you can read, use and share.
It Isn’t a Black & White Issue: Racial Bias in the U.S. (August 2018)
- Racial bias is rooted in economics and a quest for domination. Racism is a social construct. It is systemic, structural, and individual and based on the belief in the supremacy of one racial group over another. Racial bias is pervasive, and it compromises the economic, political, and social sectors of society. This Spectra Diversity White Paper focuses on racial bias towards African Americans, and also includes the racial bias towards Native Americans, Japanese Americans and Hispanic people.
The State of DEI: The DEI Train has Left the Station (June 2018)
- There are many lessons to be learned by both the successes and setbacks major companies experience. Addressing biases and cultivating an inclusive culture within a workplace is no small feat and there are certain practices that will work best for different companies, with different goals. But do not wait to have a legal issue or a snowball effect of toxicity like Uber or Google – address these issues preemptively and work to make your workplace innovative and fresh.
Implicit Bias: I Know it Exists, Now What? (November 2017)
- While implicit bias is not an intentional choice, biases inevitably exist and affect the workplace environment significantly if not addressed. Holding biases unconsciously can be frustrating, let alone understanding how to address such biases. This Spectra Diversity White Paper provides useful strategies to help minimize the impact of implicit bias in the workplace.
The Neuroscience Behind Implicit Bias (September 2017)
- No one really starts out the day saying, “I’m going to show my bias today.” Yet, that is the result…we all have unconscious bias. It may seem frustrating that there is no way to understand or control your unconscious. No need to worry: the past few decades of neuroscience and behavioral research have provided immense information explaining the why and how behind unconscious bias. In this paper, research will be explored, as it affects unconscious bias specifically in the workplace.
Understanding Self-Assessments (June 2017)
- Many are unclear on the importance of validity and reliability in a self-assessment. Is a dedicated self-assessment important when a few questions could simply be tacked on to an employee engagement survey? In a world in which diversity and inclusion are gaining a sense of urgency, our hope is that we provide our readers with knowledge and understanding that can help advance organizations, managers and employees on a path toward a diverse and inclusive culture in which respect and inclusion are consistently demonstrated.
To order a Spectra Diversity White Paper, please complete the form below.